Student Teacher Portfolios #umfstportfoliofa18

I had a lot of fun talking to people about their portfolios, and the experiences they had while they were in the field. This table belonged to Christina Hall, an elementary education major with a concentration in social studies, who taught 3rd and 4th graders at Mt View in Thorndike. It was incredible to listen to how social studies was being made interactive in the classroom. I loved hearing about her "Native Americans Contribution to Agriculture in Maine," lesson plan, as well as her class trip and lesson revolving around the Common Grounds Fair! It was so inspiring to hear about how she supported her students in various ways, and it was wonderful talking with her about her experience!



I also thoroughly enjoyed talking with Amy Washburn, a non-traditional student in elementary education who has an incredible background in programs like the foreign exchange student program, as well as the Fresh Air program. It was incredible to see how much she cares for students and children, and I especially loved her lesson plan where students got to talk with a veteran from the community, and made a slideshow about respecting those who have served for Veteran's Day. I especially loved her approach to IEPs and 504s: "I always try to get to know the student first, before I read anything in their IEP or 504. I don't want to read what someone else has labeled them before I get to know them.". 


I loved talking with both of these incredible educators, and I've learned a lot about implementing community in the classroom, and working with students who need more support and care. I cannot wait to be a student teacher myself, and I look forward to what I'll learn in the field, the second time around!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seven Wise Resources: Part Four

Three Wise Teachers, and Seven Wise Resources: Part One

Seven Wise Resources: Part Three